Sunday, March 21, 2010

Within My Reach Training

On March 3 through 5, I attended the Oklahoma Marriage Initiative's workshop leader training for Within My Reach, which is OMI's singles curriculum. This curriculum was created by the same researchers from the University of Denver who created the couples curriculum (PREP) that we use at our Forever. For Real. workshops. I learned a lot from our trainers, Bob Davis, Jack Myrick, and Scott Roby, as well as my fellow trainees.
Within My Reach is the curriculum used in our Smart Singles workshops.

While much of the material is the same as that which we teach to couples, the Within My Reach curriculum is unique in that we discuss
  • the decision to live together,
  • problem behaviors in a potential mate,
  • the seven principals of smart love (or how to choose a good partner),
  • identifying an unsafe relationship (and how to get help so that you can exit it safely),
  • stepfamilies and coparenting, and
  • setting goals for our relationships.
This curriculum is a great fit for many of the parents of the children we serve through Blended Love, as well as the students and teachers at Tulsa Community College. I look forward to leading both the Smart Singles workshops and the Forever. For Real. workshops with the populations I see most often. There is so much to learn about relationships. I have faith that our thirst for knowledge and thirst for community and closeness will draw individuals to attend our free classes. The classes cost you nothing. We ask for an investment of your time. I believe that the Oklahoma Marriage Initiative's free relationship education workshops can help those who want to build better relationships to do just that.

Whether you are single or attached, you can find a workshop near you by visiting the Oklahoma Marriage Initiative online. When it comes to the most important people in our lives, there is always more to learn.

No comments: