Wednesday, December 30, 2009

About the Oklahoma Marriage Initiative

The Oklahoma Marriage Initiative has existed since 1999 and is publicly funded to reduce Oklahoma's high divorce rate and out of wedlock birthrate. We achieve this goal through free relationship education workshops, taught by trained volunteers, that are made available throughout the state. To find a workshop near you, go to Forever. For Real. or the Oklahoma Marriage Initiative online.

About the Workshops
"When it comes to the most important people in our lives,
there is always more to learn."

I agree with this with my whole heart. OMI has curricula geared toward various audiences. For the past three years, I have taught the couples workshop Forever. For Real., based on PREP (Prevention and Relationship Enhancement Program), to married and engaged couples. The OMI-sponsored workshop is always FREE. It is typically 6 to 8 weeks long. We meet one night per week for two hours. Engaged couples can save $45 on their marriage licenses by attending one of our workshops. We also have a singles curriculum called Within My Reach (WMR).

OMI provides an educational approach to relationships. Workshop leaders are not counselors, but teachers, sharing what research has shown will help love last. At a Forever. For Real. workshop, couples will learn proven techniques, skills, and attitudes that help make love last forever - for real. We teach couples how to communicate well when it really counts, and provide a framework to help couples protect and nurture the positive aspects of their relationship. The curriculum is research-based and frequently updated based on new research at the University of Denver and other institutions.

We have workshops geared toward teens, singles, college students, prisoners, and new parents. Our goal is to teach communication and relationship skills to everyone, wherever we can, in a way that is appropriate and engaging for the given audience. We teach teens before they get into relationships. We teach singles who want their next relationship to work. We teach couples, who want to strengthen and enhance their relationship, ultimately preventing divorce. We also teach new parents, because navigating this wonderful and exciting change for the family can put strain on a marriage. The skills and attitudes we teach are simple but unknown for most participants, because we often lack great examples in our homes and relationship skills are not taught in school. If you're a willing student, we're ready to teach you.

"Because marriage now comes with instructions."

Harnessing the Power of Volunteers
OMI recruits, trains, and equips volunteers with the tools they need to lead relationship workshops all over the state. Earlier this fall, we hit a milestone: Over 200,000 people served! I know that OMI programs are serving their purpose because my marriage is better because of the skills I've learned through PREP. All of this is possible through the generosity, unique backgrounds, and skill sets of volunteers.

After an application process and four day training, volunteers trained in specific curriculum are able to lead as many workshops as they can organize, with full support from OMI. All participant workbooks, etc. are requested from OMI and sent to the workshop leader before the workshop begins. Newly trained workshop leaders are asked to lead a minimum of four workshops within their first year.

Here is an excerpt from the workshop leaders information page:
"In order to truly affect the marriages and relationships in our state, OMI workshop leaders need to be highly motivated and good presenters with a commitment to the work of strengthening families. The expenses of the training seminar, training materials and workshop delivery materials are provided free of charge by the Department of Human Services. Continuing education units are available for a variety of licensures for approximately 18 hours of credit including LBP, LMFT, LPC, LCSW and Licensed Psychologists. Within my Reach Workshop Leaders must have ready access to the priority population for these services, single heads of households who are economically disadvantaged and at higher risk for negative relationship outcomes."
For more information about becoming a workshop leader, click here.

Upcoming Training Opportunities:

PREP 7.0 Training
April 28-30, Tulsa
October 4 -6, Oklahoma City

Within My Reach Training
March 3-5, Oklahoma City
June 9-11, Oklahoma City

PREP Workshop Testimonials
(from the OMI website):

"This class was awesome for me, so very helpful and useful in my life at this very moment. I learned things that will help me grow as an individual person as well as the other half of a relationship team." -Workshop Participant

"This helped me understand my mate more. We are trying the speaker/listener technique. We are doing 100% better since I've been here. Thank you!" -Workshop Participant

"I feel this workshop was helpful to me as a woman. The things I learned can help me to gain a healthy and long-term relationship" -Workshop Participant

"Thank you for providing this workshop. I feel that this should be required for every couple before marriage. This workshop is a stepping stone for creating a long, lasting, happy, fulfilling marriage." -Workshop Participant

"This program has changed my views and attitudes about men, relationships, but mainly it has helped me change myself for the better. Not only can I communicate with my partner but also with my children, family, and friends."
-Workshop Participant

"I'm happy there is a structured form of communication given to try and experiment with. Not just a counselor sitting and listening to both parties complaints. Yea, a tool is given." -Workshop Participant

"The class was great! My husband and I enjoyed the day and also learned so much. In the end, my husband thought that the class was worth going to instead of going to look at bulls like we had previously planned!" -Workshop Participant
Beyond Oklahoma
I hope the information above gives you a better idea of what the Oklahoma Marriage Initiative is all about. Texas has a similar initiative, called TwoGether in Texas, and it is my understanding that their program was modeled using our very own OMI.

Oklahoma is doing something groundbreaking here. We're investing in marriage, in family, and in relationships, in a way that hasn't been done before. Over the past 10 years, the OMI staff has learned much through trial and error. We have found a lot that works and some things that didn't work, by trying everything we can to educate Oklahomans about relationships. Now other states are looking to us as an example. Click here to learn more about the history of the Oklahoma Marriage Initiative and lessons learned along the way.

Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions, and I'll try to answer them for you!

No comments: