Sunday, December 13, 2009

BMX Grand Nationals



On the day after Thanksgiving, I had the privilege of singing the national anthem at the BMX Grand Nationals in Tulsa. Aside from the Olympics, the BMX Grand Nationals is the largest BMX event of the year. The three Olympic medalists, including the gold medalist from Latvia and the silver and bronze medalists from the USA, were in attendance and competing in this amazing competition.

The Expo Center was quite a sight! There was dirt everywhere! It was also an entirely different culture. Almost every person I met was on wheels. :) To say that the track was difficult is a huge understatement. Athletes from age 4 to age 60 competed -- and athletes of all ages competed on the same extremely difficult track. In many cases, it was a family affair, with young children and their parents and even grandparents competing the same day. I was impressed at their skill and athleticism. It was an honor to sing for such talented athletes and their very supportive families.





I'd like to thank Whitney Miller from the Tulsa Sports Commission for giving me this opportunity to sing, and Cheryl Northness of the Tulsa Drillers for recommending me. I love singing the national anthem! Healthy competition, sports, and the national anthem: It doesn't get much more American than that! It's also a neat bit of history that the Mrs. America program initially supported the National Anthem Project before adopting the larger cause of supporting music education. I'm glad to be able to share my voice and express the love of my country through song. This event was a blast and unlike any other sporting event I have ever attended! Hopefully, I'll have the opportunity to sing at other sporting events throughout the state in the future.


No comments: