Wednesday, February 3, 2010

My Mission Statement: Supporting Families & Addressing Divorce

So many people just don't get 'this pageant thing' that I do. I compete because the little bit of celebrity status the title provides me allows me to reach many more people with my cause of supporting families and addressing divorce.

Relationship Education
I want more individuals to know what a healthy relationship looks like. I want them to feel empowered, to know that healthy relationships aren’t just for some people who came from picture perfect homes, but that healthy relationships are for them. I want more people to take advantage of the awesome opportunity to get a free research-based, skills-based education on how to build and nurture a healthy relationship. I want that love we feel on our wedding days to last. For that reason, I encourage every individual and every couple to seek out the free relationship workshops offered by the Oklahoma Marriage Initiative. We have Forever. For Real. for couples, Within My Reach for singles, Relationship U for college students, and many more programs for teens, for couples with new babies, for stepfamilies, for incarcerated individuals, and for many other groups…There are too many to list! I want everyone to know that “forever” can be “for real” and not only that, but we personally can make our relationships satisfying and lasting. For more information, go to www.okmarriage.org and www.foreverforreal.com.

Divorce Support For Children and Families
I also want to increase access to divorce support programs for youth.

My parents divorced when I was 13 and it was very difficult for my sisters and me.

Blended Love is an outstanding organization that provides real services for children of divorce. Our goal is to equip these children to deal with change in healthy ways. We have three programs to allow us to reach that goal. In our first program, we provide library resources for children, teachers, and staff about dealing with changes in the family structure. In our second program, Calm Classrooms in Turbulent Times, we teach teachers how to support children of divorce and children from changing families in their classrooms. Finally, we work hands-on with the kids in our research-based Things Change Journal Program. Through reading and writing, we help all children learn to cope with change in healthy ways.

My goal is to reach as many children and teachers as possible with Blended Love programming.

You Can Help!
You can help by writing or calling your principal or superintendent. Tell them you want divorce support programming at your school. You can also help by purchasing founder Monica Epperson’s children’s book, A Heart With Two Homes. One hundred percent of the proceeds go to Blended Love.

You can also help by educating yourself, investing in your marriage, and teaching your children to do the same. OMI programs are free – so there is no excuse! LOL When it comes to the most important people in our lives, there is always more to learn.

You can become a volunteer for Blended Love, or for the Oklahoma Marriage Initiative. We are always looking for reliable, passionate volunteers who share our values and have the best interest of children and families at heart.

~

Some people have said that my goals are too broad -- that as Mrs. Tulsa, I should choose one cause or the other. But I refuse to choose. We need relationship skills and support for families now more than ever. I hope you will join me on my journey.

No comments: