Sunday, December 13, 2009

Midtown Martial Arts' Break-A-Thon

On Saturday, December 5th, I helped out at the Midtown Martial Arts' Break-A-Thon! The benefit took place at my gym, Sedona Fitness! My sponsors at Sedona give of themselves on more ways than one. Each of the children in attendance found sponsors who would provide $X per board. After a short warm-up, the children broke as many boards as possible! All of the proceeds went to Family & Children's Services, to purchase Christmas and holiday gifts for children in local families. It was great to see kids being taught that (1) the holiday season is about giving, and (2) that even children have something to give! They used their time and talent to give of themselves to help others, and that is a beautiful thing!

I met some wonderful, generous, supportive families. I signed a few autographs, and I even broke a board with my knee (while wearing 2 1/2 inch heels!) Not bad! ;) It warms my heart to see children gaining self-discipline and new skills, while at the same time, learning that it's not about them but about serving others. It was a lot of fun, and a blessing to me to see children learning to give and learning that even as youngsters, they have something to offer.

No comments: