Friday, February 6, 2009

Rose Day at the capitol, Stillwater schools...

It has been a busy week, but I have had a wonderful, wonderful time! On Wednesday, I went to capitol, wearing my crown and sash, in an attempt to bring visibility and excitement to the cause of protecting the unborn child. I admit that this cause is controversial and many people disagree with me, but I felt personally obligated to stand up for my convictions and encourage everyone, from Oklahomans for Life volunteers and supporters to our state legislators, to support life. I must use the title to bring awareness to causes that mean the world to me and I hope that those who disagree with me will respect my decision to do so. I stand for life.

I met many pro-life Oklahomans and encouraged them to keep fighting the good fight, and I also spoke to several women about their passions for various causes. One woman spoke to me about her desire to speak up for victims of domestic violence, which is in keeping with the anti-child abuse platform of Mrs. Oklahoma 2007, and another woman spoke to me about keeping families together. I also spoke to many people about advocacy for children of divorce and divorce prevention, and I believe that my message was well-received. Awareness is growing, and with more awareness of the cause and awareness of our ability to do something about it, we will finally act for children of divorce. That has been my greatest gift (to give and to recieve) as Mrs. Oklahoma. I met many little girls and boys who wanted to meet a real-life "princess" and touch the crown as well. The children are always a joy and the very reason why I do what I do and say what I say.

I asked my state legislators to support HB 1595, an abortion-reporting bill, that will lead to studies measuring the prevalence of abortion in our state, the reasons that abortions are sought, and the resulting complications. Additionally, the bill monitor compliance with our existing abortion statutes, and will prohibit abortions performed for purposes of sex-selection.

I also met many state senators, representatives, and other government officials (I don't want to try to name them all for fear that I will leave someone out!), but I will say that Senator Bryce Marlatt asked me for an autographed picture for his daughter Cloey, and I said I'd be more than happy to! Senator Marlatt is pro-life.

HB 1595 is the principal pro-life priority for the 2009 legislative session. The bill's authors are Representative Dan Sullivan and Senator Todd Lamb. See the post below to read more about the bill and to identify your legislators.

Later the same day, I went to Stillwater and spoke to principal Uwe Gordan at Stillwater High School and counselor Susan Sinderson at Stillwater Junior High School about making relationship education presentations for their students. Relationships are so important, and like communication, it just something that we are not generally taught in school. I will be making presentations at Stillwater High School in late March and early April, and while I'm in the area, I also hope to speak at the elementary, middle, and junior high schools.

My message to kids is this: You are not alone, there are ways we can help ourselves feel better, and no matter what kind of family you come from, you can still make your dreams come true by making good choices now. You can choose to handle the ups and downs of life in healthy ways. Teachers, we can guide the children so that they understand what is happening to their families. When life gives you lemons, made lemonade. As for the older students, I want them to learn relationship skills, know that they can choose their partners, and how not to slide into a bad or unhealthy relationship. You can decide to have a better relationship than your parents had. It's all about education, awareness, and effort -- in one word, choices. We can choose to learn from our parents' mistakes and successes, and we can learn from the family science research. Healthy, happy families are possible and it all begins with making a conscious effort to educate yourself and be good to your partner on purpose.

I will blog again soon about my NewsChannel 8 interview this morning and my impromptu classroom presentation at Wright Elementary School here in Tulsa. But as for right now...I have to go to class!

No comments: