Friday, July 11, 2008

Three interviews in two days! Whew!

Hi everyone! I've had an eventful couple of days! I had an interview for the TCC school paper yesterday and two radio interviews this morning. Yesterday I administered exam 3 for my calc I students, and immediately thereafter I had an interview with the TCC Connection. They interviewed me about the Banana Splits program and advocacy for children of divorce, and they also asked some fun questions -- my favorite (not-good-for-me) food, my most embarrassing moment, and many others! The issue comes out next week! I can't wait to read it!
Then this morning, I had a scheduled interview on 92.9 KBEZ with hosts Steve Smith and Samantha Matthews. I love Steve's cheesey sense of humor and Samantha was fun and down-to-earth. We had a blast, talked about my platform, talked about the upcoming Mrs. International pageant, and then once the microphones were off we solved a challenging combinatorics problem! So much fun! (I'm a nerd -- I know! -- I embrace my nerddom!) Combinatorics is just a fancy word for counting, by the way! The question was this:

Seven children are on a bus and each have seven backpacks. In their seven backpacks are seven large cats, and each of the seven cats has seven baby kittens. How many legs are there on the bus? (And no, it's not a trick question -- you don't have to worry about the bus driver or any of that!) If you think you know the answer, let me know, and I'll let you know if you got it right!

Steve's wife, Audrey, who is a paraprofessional for one of our TPS middle schools, also called while I was in the studio and expressed an interest in starting a Banana Splits chapter at the middle school where she works. The Mrs. Oklahoma title really is helping me to reach a wider audience for children of divorce. We are opening so many doors, and we are going to help so many children! Regardless of what happens next week, this is what being Mrs. Oklahoma is all about! Use the player below to listen to my KBEZ interview.


Then, as I was leaving the lobby, Justin the Intern from K-HITS caught me and asked me if I wanted to be on K-HITS this morning, on their "Wylde WakeUp Show" - with host Scotty Wylde, Lindsey Bauer, and Justin the Intern. FYI, K-HITS is Tulsa's hit music station. They play a lot of hip hop and pop music. They are young and fresh and fun, and I loved talking with them. Scotty emphasized my advocacy for children of divorce and my work with OMI, and then they asked about my opinion on what what going on in poor Miss South Carolina Teen USA's head when she answered the infamous maps question last year. Then they asked me for my answer to the question. I said, "Obviously there is a problem in our public schools." "Short and sweet!" Lindsey said, "I like that!"

After our first segment, a woman called and asked about relationship education because she heard us talking about the Oklahoma Marriage Initiative and it's programs on the show. We helped at least ONE couple learn about being great partners for each other and that makes me VERY happy! We're strengthening families and relationships and my year has only just begun! I also think it was great experience because as Mrs. Oklahoma and Mrs. International, a young woman has be able to get her point of view across to diverse audiences. It was interesting going from the easy listening station to the hip hop/pop station. The funny thing is, I'm so eclectic -- I listen to both stations all the time! Both have programmed buttons in my car. :) It was an honor being on and I look forward to getting the word out more about helping children of divorce by implementing divorce support programming for kids. If you listened today, thanks for listening! It means a lot to me!

If anyone else would like to contact me about Banana Splits or the Oklahoma Marriage Initiative, and if you didn't get a chance to call in and are somehow reading my blog now, please email me at MrsOklahoma2008@gmail.com. I'm only one person, and there is only so much one person can do alone, but with your help, we can help many, many children of divorce! Thank you for your interest!

No comments: