Sunday, July 20, 2008

I'm home from Mrs. International!

I write this from my home computer, wearing comfy clothes, flip flops and no make-up. Oh, it feels so good! It feels good to be home. I feel so blessed to have had such a wonderful experience. My fellow contestants were just amazing and I just fell in love with some of them! Lifelong friendships began last week and for that I am truly grateful! I am hesitant to list names because I know I'll leave someone out, but my new girlfriends are wonderful. Everyone had a great attitude and a great spirit. My new friends are truly amazing and inspire me to do more and be more for my cause and my husband! I'm ready to get back to work here in Oklahoma -- and my first appearance upon my return will be the Oklahoma State PTA Convention. I'll be speaking with leadership from PTAs all over the state about advocacy for children of divorce and giving them contacts and information concerning who to reach to request divorce support programming at their schools and what they can do to help children of divorce. This is what being Mrs. Oklahoma is all about -- wish me luck!

But it has been an incredible week. It was exciting and wonderful and rewarding yet exhausting. We worked hard and played harder, and I'm thrilled and honored to announce that I was named 4th runner-up among an outstanding group of 47 incredible women!

Prelims went extraordinarily well on Friday. I had a great time on stage and I like to think I just shined because I was so in the moment. Bobby's presence made me feel loved and beautiful. It makes me so happy when I get to see him right before I walk for evening wear. Then, the worry and analysis area of my brain got a work out as I hoped and dreamed and wondered if I made the top 10. When I heard my name called, I was so surprised! Being a math person, I calculated that there was a 78.7 % chance that I would not make top ten, and knowing my fellow contestants and knowing the scoring system, I just wasn't sure that my stage presence and interviews had been enough. But it was enough! I was top ten contestant #5. I felt thrilled and honored and surprised and touched. In my nervous anticipation and tiredness after the long week, I think I did less than my best during the top ten competition, but I know that last night's performance was meant to be and I'm exactly where God wants me right now. I have so much room to grow and so much to do as Mrs. Oklahoma and with my Master's degree this year. God's plan is so much better than anything we could ever want or imagine for ourselves. I feel truly, truly blessed and I can't wait to do more right here in Oklahoma.

Laine Berry, Mrs. Southeast, took home the crown. Laine is warm and engaging and quite lovely. Laine and Brenda, who is Mrs. Colorado, and I sat together on the bus on Wednesday and enjoyed a great conversation about marriage, loss, and our missions and work with our chosen causes. I also enjoyed a lovely lunch with Laine, Mrs. Canada, Mrs. Maine, Mrs. North Dakota (my roomie, Angela -- I adore her!), and Shannon Devine at the Signature Room. Although there was a mix-up with the bill, it all worked out and we had a great time together discussing (almost) everything under the sun. I know Laine is going to do great things for Go Red and the Mrs. International organization during the coming year. I can just feel it. :)

The first runner-up was Mrs. Georgia, Meredith Boyd. Wow -- she is just a sweet, fun person and I loved spending time with her! When we first met, she immediately commented on the music on my blog! Fun, friendly and approachable -- I LOVE this lady! I'm so glad to have made a new friend in her.

The second runner-up was Patti Mercer. I forget what state she's from. But she is a fun, genuine, good-hearted lady too. I remember seeing her dancing in the wings from across the stage and just thinking that it looks like a party over there! Wherever she is, people have a good time. I'm so glad that the judges were able to see that and recognize that. I wish I had spent more time with her because I'd really like to get to know her better!

The third runner-up was Deanna Linz. What can I say? She is truly a class act. She was one of those that I didn't have the chance to really get to know, but every interaction with her was a great one. She does so much for military families and I am very grateful for her service and her husband's service for our country and this very important cause.

The rest of the top ten included Mrs. Tennessee (future Olympian! You have to love Tiffany Love! No pun intended LOL), Jessica Plante, Mrs. Mass (I loved her sarcasm -- she was so fun, real, and funny!), Mrs. NY, Lori Donaudy (also very cool), Joy Pfister (very much a sweetie), and Shannon Devine (I love this lady!! Very fun, cool, and classy! I'm glad we had the chance to get to know each other!!)

Honestly, going into this pageant, I worried about cattiness, mind games...you never know in pageantry what it's going to be like...especially at this level. But each of the women had inner beauty and character to match their outer beauty. We had a BLAST dancing at the coronation ball, and another cool thing -- I won $250 as the fourth runner-up! Tammy McDonald, Mrs. US International 2007, and her husband, donated thousands in scholarships for Laine and her court. I feel honored and blessed and grateful to have been among them.

...Now it's time to get back to work! I have papers to grade and a final exam to write for my calculus students this week. I also have to finish the Parent Tip Sheets for the Oklahoma PTA appearance next weekend. I'm going to reach so many people, and working together we're going to touch so many lives. I would have loved to have been Mrs. International, but winning a crown and a title isn't what this is about for me. This is about doing this work, making this difference, helping children of divorce and raising awareness for the needs of kids that are often forgotten. It is so rewarding and I am inspired by my fellow contestants to do more and be more to become the best Mrs. Oklahoma I can be!

I would like to thank everyone, especially my amazing husband Bobby, my director Lauri Rottmayer, and her husband and son David and Geoff, my amazing mom-in-law Ada, my mom, Glenda, Auntie Queenie and Uncle Glenn, my sister queens Megan and Brooke, and all of my fellow contestants for all of their support, encouragement, kindness and fun times this week. I couldn't have done it without you! I'd name all of my new friends from the pageant, but I fear starting that because I might leave out someone very special. Please know that I love you all and definitely want to keep in touch!

God bless you and your missions to help your communities! This isn't about us, but about showing God's love to others by doing amazing work for His children!
Sincerely and with my whole heart,
For His kids and His glory always,
Sasha

PS - For pictures from the pageant, go to www.themrsoklahomapageant.blogspot.com.

1 comment:

Ang said...

Hey roomie!! You did AWESOME!
I'm so proud of you!!!
It was a treat being your roommate!!
Keep in touch!!!

Love ya
Ang

PS) I saw a panda bear he said to tell you oy! Oy!