Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Whew! What a week!

I don't have much time to write, but I wanted to say THANK YOU to all of the wonderful people who have supported Kendall Whitter Inc. and will show their support this Thursday at "A Beautiful Night For the Neighborhood". I've never seen Forever Plaid but it's supposed to be hilarious! Thank you to all who have donated money and gifts to help families from one of Tulsa's most impoverished neighborhoods.

In the past week, I have trained with Derek Zabienski of Sedona fitness four times (and man, am I sore!). I have spoken about Time Out and Good Communication with my wonderful co-leader Pat Jonston at Family & Children's Services. I registered brides and grooms for upcoming relationship education classes at The Perfect Wedding Guide Wedding show. I ran a 5K and raised $200 for Race for the Cure (**Save Second Base!**) and gave a short interview on Fox 23 about the wonderful work of Kendall Whittier Inc., our increased need for services in these tough economic times, and our upcoming benefit, A Beautiful Night For the Neighborhood.

KWI: We're talking about real families, our neighbors in need. I know that times are tough and everyone is being more choosey with how they spend their money, but I have to tell you, a donation to KWI is money well-spent. It is money invested in our neighbors, our youth and community that will ultimately reap more benefits than we can ever imagine. I have met so many wonderful and generous people through Kendall Whittier Inc. These are people with a lot of money and a little money and everywhere in between. All of this nonprofit work has reminded me of Grandma Lim. She was generous not because of how much or what she had; she was generous because that's truly who she was. Her generosity was just an overflowing of her heart. Whether she had a lot or a little, she couldn't help but give it away. I hope to carry on her legacy. I miss you grandma. I had two of the best grandmas in the world.

I will write more soon about the past week's events! I regret to say that I forgot my camera (oh, well) but that's the way it goes. As my friend Pam Bolter once eloquently wrote for a TFTJ article, volunteering is more than a photo op! And my fellow pageant queens, volunteering is more than one more event to add to your list of appearances. I believe God has blessed each of us with so much to give and we receive it back 100-fold when we do. Volunteering is an opportunity to give of yourself, with or without a crown. And that is a beautiful thing.

No comments: