Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Toastmasters - Tulsa Club 148

I gave my first speech last night! It was the ice breaker speech, my opportunity to introduce myself to the club. I was honestly more nervous giving this speech than I have been in giving a speech in a long time.

I will say that I tied for best speech and my opening was great! (I admit to having using that opening a time or two before :)) Then I spoke about my community service, teaching, and my interests. I spoke about my desire to develop the skills to become a great Mrs. America and that this role of Mrs. America is a job. I feel great about the fact that I am always looking for ways to challenge myself, that I can assimilate gently-given criticism into real change, and that my passion for serving others and making a difference will always help me to be more comfortable. When I take the focus off of myself and put it on others, I always feel 100% more comfortable in my own skin.

One piece of feedback that I didn't receive from others but I gave myself last night to be kind and forgiving of your own mistakes! There will be no more labeling myself as this kind of person or that kind of person, because there comes a point when we begin to believe our self talk. If I can forgive others, I can forgive myself and stop labeling myself. I'm a work in progress and I'll be Mrs. America ready by April. I'm embracing every opportunity to improve and give to others. I can't wait to get there!

No comments: