Thursday, June 5, 2008

Oklahoma Marriage Initiative's Volunteer Appreciation Luncheon

June 5, 2008 - Today I was a part of the Oklahoma Marriage Initiative's volunteer appreciation luncheon and I was interviewed for OMI's upcoming promotional video. The interview was my first interview since the pageant, so I was a little overexcited, but other than that I think it went well! I was able to speak about Banana Splits, PREP and how divorce prevention is an important part of my mission for my year of service as Mrs. Oklahoma. A solid, satisfying, lasting marriage is the foundation for a happy, healthy family. I think happy healthy families are possible -- we just have a long way to go in teaching people communication skills and getting the word out about programming offered through OMI. That's why I am so proud to be a part of OMI as a volunteer marriage educator.

I also spoke with my tablemates about Banana Splits and what they were doing in their communities. So many positive things are being done, and everything is being tried to help people couples who want to have satisfying marriages to get the skills they need to do just that! PREP curriculum has been adapted through a program called Connections for youth in our high schools. We're teaching inmates about PREP and youth are attending PREP sessions with their parents to gain the valuable and necessary communications skills that, unfortunately, aren't taught in the classroom. Times are changing, and ultimately, I think the divorce culture in Oklahoma is going to change so that while divorces will continue to happen, they will only happen when necessary. There are so many marriages that fail unnecessarily because of lack of understanding and skills about how to be a great spouse. I agree with the PREP materials that state, "When it comes to loving the most important people in our lives, there is always more to learn!" Oklahoma is unique in that we're actually addressing this issue, and I think the culture is slowly changing.

While divorce rates have leveled off, the number of children being born out of wedlock continues to skyrocket. Regardless of the divorce rate, there are still young people that have little to no positive examples of what a healthy relationship is. There is still much work to be done, and OMI is working to do it! I'm honored to be a part of what they are doing for families across the state.

Here, I'm pictured with service delivery coordinator Amanda Carter at the Spaghetti Warehouse in Tulsa. She helped me to get involved in OMI back in 2007. She's very professional, kind, and competent and I admire her efforts and her successes in marketing PREP in the greater Tulsa area. I hope to do the same thing for Banana Splits. I only have on year, so I have to make the most of it!

No comments: