Thursday, June 19, 2008

YWCA's Wine, Women, and Shoes 101: Wine & Shoe Pairing

I had a great time for a great cause tonight, at the YWCA of Tulsa's Wine, Women, and Shoes event. The monies raised benefit all of the Tulsa area YWCA's programs, which served 24, 000 people in Tulsa area last year. This is a statement about what they do coming from the YWCA organization:

"For more than 94 years, the YWCA Tulsa has worked to empower and unite women of all ages through a variety of programs such as: career and personal counseling services, job search and life skills training and internship services, fitness and aquatic programs, children and youth programs including top quality Early Learning Centers, senior programs, English as a Second Language courses, citizenship classes and more."
It was wonderful to know that our donations supported women, children and families in need. The YWCA is a very proactive rather than reactive organization, and that makes me proud to support them in their mission of eliminating racism and empowering women. We tasted incredible wines from Nappa valley vinters (I think there was only one wine that I didn't like), enjoyed delicious appetizers, and conversed with great company. Women also admired some fabulous shoes from shoe providers all over Tulsa -- my favorites were some four-inch fabulous black Jimmy Choos! Classic, elegant, with a little bit of sex appeal and a lot of substance, we decided that they were definitely a match with cabernet. :) I had an opportunity to talk to people about my platform and my goals for my year as Mrs. Oklahoma, as well as to hear about the many wonderful things being done by Tulsans in our local community. I believe this was just the beginning of many new relationships that will lead to progress for Tulsa's children of divorce and their families.In the first photo in this entry, I am pictured with friend Nick Doctor (we went to the University of Tulsa together) and Stephen Eberle. Above I am pictured with Nick, Stephen, and new friends, Jamie and Mark. Jamie kept me company as the guests were just arriving and Mark helped us to find the very best food and wine at the event. Today is Jamie's 32nd birthday -- Happy birthday, Jamie! Wonderful people! Mark has excellent taste in food and wine, and both were a pleasure to talk to! I'm glad that we met. :) Overall, it was a successful appearance: we had a great time for a great cause and I believe I succeeded in spreading awareness of advocacy for children of divorce. I look forward to many more events like this, because I know that I can't succeed in helping children of divorce completely on my own. It is a team effort -- and tonight, I think I found some new partners for our team!

No comments: