Sunday, June 8, 2008

2008 Miss Oklahoma America Pageant

Last night I attended the Miss Oklahoma pageant finals with pageant sisters Miss Tulsa International Janitha Jendzrey and Miss Oklahoma International Megan Johnson. Like everyone else at the pageant, the three of us had a great time!


The production was incredible and each of the contestants was worthy of the title. They were all so fit, so beautiful, and so well-spoken. Knowing the discipline required to get into tip-top shape, to develop one's talent, and to serve in one's community in addition to their academic, career and

family responsibilities, I admired these beautiful young women for all of their hard work, for deciding to undertake this journey. It's a journey where you decide to better yourself and give as much as you can to serve others.



The new Miss Oklahoma America is Kelsey Cartwright. She is stunningly beautiful, extremely talented, and she was warm and engaging during her on-stage chat with Lauren Nelson. All of the contestants were incredible, and I couldn't narrow the ten down to five much less pick a winner, because they were all so outstanding in their own ways. Maybe Kelsey will be Miss America #7 for Oklahoma! I believe what Lauren said about the best girls coming from Oklahoma -- Oklahoma has smart, down-to-earth, disciplined young people who value their families and communities and want to change the world. Although I am a transplant from Florida, I am proud to be an Okie today! I may be biased but I believe it's true, and besides that, I married an Okie! They're definitely doing something right out here in terms of raising outstanding young people who will make their mark on society.



Janitha and I also had the chance to meet former Mrs. International Michelle Fryatt. One of Michelle's friends was sitting behind us at the pageant and she introduced us. Michelle is an Ada native who was there to support her niece Miss Ada (MAO). I recognized Michelle as the emcee from the 2007 video and she was just as warm and well-spoken in person as she was on DVD during the 2007 pageant. I told her that I loved the fact that our pageant was 50% platform-based interview and that we didn't have to wear swimsuits! I love that Mrs. International recognizes that communicating a vision for your year and making a difference with our titles is priority #1 and that while fitness is important, we don't have to show that much skin to show that we're fit! Jan and I took pictures with Michelle and her very outgoing brother! It was a pleasure, and I'm sure I'll see Michelle again in July!




As the pageant drew to a close, I thought about all of the opportunities pageantry provides us to grow and mature, and to give to others, with or without a crown. All of this so clique'. Still, I write it because it's true! Whether I win in July or not, the journey is life-changing, and the opportunities I have this year to give of myself and serve children of divorce and their families are experiences that shouldn't be traded for anything. I went to church this morning and the pastor spoke about showing God's love through our actions in every aspect of our lives. We're not just Christians on Sunday. We go out and do God's work wherever He plans for us to be. This is consistent with my Florida church's mission to do God's work wherever we go and in whatever we do. I hope to share God's love with others, especially families struggling through divorce, wherever I am. I think Janitha, Megan and the Oklahoma America contestants would agree that it's not about winning, but about letting God mold us into His image and giving us a chance to share God with others through loving action. I believe that pageants help me to become who God wants me to be. He doesn't need a pageant do that obviously, but I believe he uses pageantry to change me and help me mature. I am so grateful that God included this opportunity to serve as Mrs. Oklahoma in His plan for me! Thank you, Lord! Amen.

For more pictures and news go to www.SashaTownsend.com/photos.htm and www.missoklahoma.org.

No comments: