Friday, December 18, 2009

Sharing Good News, Upcoming Events for OMI

I wanted to share some good news. I met my friend, Amanda Carter, the service delivery coordinator for Oklahoma Marriage Initiative programs in the Tulsa area, for coffee at Panera yesterday afternoon. She gave me some great news: The Oklahoma Marriage Initiative offered me a position as a volunteer ambassador of the organization, and I accepted. It is an honor, but it is also a position with responsibilities that I take seriously. As an ambassador, I will promote the Oklahoma Marriage Initiative's relationship programs throughout the state. I know that it's not the title that matters, but it is often a title that opens doors, allowing you to share your message. I have seen this firsthand. As an undergraduate psychology major, I rarely had opportunities to share my thoughts and vision of supporting children after divorce. However, as Mrs. Tulsa or Mrs. Oklahoma International, I have had many opportunities to speak. It is my hope that the ambassador designation will open doors and give me the chance to further the mission of OMI: reducing Oklahoma's divorce rate and out-of-wedlock birthrate through relationship education. That is a beautiful thing!

Amanda also gave me invaluable insight regarding coordinating volunteers for Blended Love, and we had a great time catching up and talking about education. I wish I had had her help in English when I was in college and I probably could have helped her through her summer algebra class. :) Amanda and I will be distributing literature and signing up couples for Forever. For Real. events at the Tulsa Wedding Show on January 9. On February 6, we will have simultaneous Forever. For Real. events especially for engaged couples in multiple locations throughout the state. I'll be helping out in Tulsa at the Crowne Plaza Hotel. Please follow the link to save $45 on your marriage license and learn skills that will help your love to last forever (for real!).

I absolutely love teaching this material. I learn more about being a better helper for Bobby every time I teach it, so I am looking forward to leading Forever. For Real. workshops this spring. Engaged couples can save $45 of their marriage licenses by attending. Please visit the link to find a free class. I hope to see you there!

No comments: