Saturday, October 31, 2009

HallowZOOeen

With my partner in crime, Christy Brock

Last night, I had a blast at HallowZOOeen! As a volunteer game attendant, I staffed the Jack-O-Lantern Toss with fellow volunteer Christy Brock. Christy is such a sweet person. At the beginning of the evening, I manned this station by myself. I was going behind the jack-o-lantern, picking up bean bags, bringing the bean bags to the next child in line and handing out candy as prize, all at pretty much the same time. It was very fast paced, quite a sight and definitely amusing! Many parents helped by passing me bean bags. Someone noted that I am going to have great quads after doing all of those squats! LOL Then Christy came (my hero!) and we worked together to make the game as fun as possible for the kids!

Our station - The Jack-O-Lantern Toss

Bobby took this photo of me in our living room
I was a Mrs. Tulsa princess.


All of the volunteers were given the opportunity to dress up. I thought, "Little girls always ask me if I'm a princess. Why not just go with it?" I dressed up, wearing my crown and sash, with one goal in mind: to be as princess-like as possible. I brought two extra tiaras for the girls to try on and they loved them! My only wish was that I had enough tiaras to give one to every girl. It was so hard saying no when they asked me if they could keep it! I said, "If I let you take it, then no one else will be able to try it on." This is a lesson learned. Many people asked, "Are you the real Mrs. Tulsa?" I took lots of photos with ghosts and goblins of all kinds -- from scary princesses to witches to super heroes. The children were so adorable in their costumes and very sweet. They were generally very determined to do well in the Jack-O-Lantern toss and that was really cute too.

I was so busy working that I didn't have a chance to take many photos once the Pumpkin Patch Playroom got busy, but I have a couple of photos with kids that I took for parents who didn't have cameras. I emailed the photos to them just before I sat down to write this. At the end of the night, I was wiped out but the evening was a huge success! I think the kids had a great time and parents were happy to have a place to go where the kids can get safe candy. I can't wait to go back to the zoo to volunteer again next year. If you don't have plans, HallowZOOeen is also open tonight from 6:30 to 8:30 PM. Tickets are $6 for members and $7 for general admission.

Have fun and be safe tonight! ~ SMPT

With Two Scary Princesses

With a precious ladybug princess - so cute!

No comments: