Saturday, October 24, 2009

Forever. For Real. at Stokely Event Center

I had a great time today at the Forever. For Real. one day event for engaged couples at the Stokely Event Center. Stokely is such a fun location! There were huge signs everywhere, and free arcade games available to our engaged couples. I had to play a couple of games of ski ball! It was a lot of fun!

Love was definitely in the air, as evidenced by a lot of hand-holding, kissing, and learning as we presented highlights of the PREP curriculum: communication danger signs, time out, speaker-listener technique, expectations, issues & hidden issues, protecting the good stuff, forgiveness, and commitment. Amanda Carter organized this wonderful event where workshop leaders Lauren Gould Alvarez and Terry Buxton engaged the crowd of 125 people. They are both such great speakers! OMI coaches Gary, Otis, Terra and I assisted and coached couples throughout the day as they practiced their new techniques. We also celebrated Otis's birthday! Happy birthday, Otis! I will post more on PREP content soon (when I have more time!).

"It's a such a God thing!" - my friend Hayden Rush
I had the opportunity to share my platform of divorce support and divorce prevention with all of these people. I feel that in the few minutes I spoke, my sincerity was clear. I had many divorced parents approach me about support for children of divorce in their schools and communities. I met new people and rekindled old relationships with others who have the same heart, people who recognize that academic achievement and social and relational development suffer when there is instability in the home. I don't want to get ahead of myself, but I think God is finally opening the doors to allow me to reach children of divorce through school programs. Please pray for receptive principals, wisdom and guidance, and success in establishing divorce support programs in schools! Even as we approach public schools with secular programs and Christian schools with Christian programs, I know that supporting suffering children and families is God's work. I pray for these children and families every day. This is my ministry. I can't wait to see what God has planned next! Stay tuned...As details are finalized, I'll let you in on the good news!

No comments: