Friday, August 21, 2009

Thank you Cassondra, Starbucks, Coach, and Miss Jackson's for supporting KWI!

I met my friend Cassondra for coffee at Starbucks today, at the Utica Square location, to discuss our shared trepidation and plans for seeking auction item donations for KWI. I have no idea what has changed in the five years since I fundraised for the West Tulsa YMCA, but for some reason, this year I had been a little bit more nervous than usual about asking friends, family and community leaders for silent auction donations, even though it is for a wonderful and important cause. It's hard asking people for donations in this economy. Even so, I know that I love to have the opportunity to give, and I know that many business owners and mangers in Tulsa feel the same way. We gathered our courage and did our best!

Together, Cassondra and I did it! We spoke with representatives of Starbucks, Coach, Miss Jacksons, and many other stores. We were able to secure several wonderful donations today, and able to make several contacts that will hopefully become Kendall Whittier partners in the future. Cassondra and I overcame our fears and were able to really do something for KW families, and that makes me really proud of us. :) Great job Cassondra! Working together, we can help so many people!

I'd like to thank Starbucks, Coach, and Miss Jackson's for their donations and encourage others to give to help children to learn about nutrition, fitness, the importance of education and the dangers of substance abuse and premature sexual activity. We're also helping to feed many families in need and helping students to learn to love reading. Our students are receiving life changing mentoring and tutoring services. By providing these services and the tangible support of food and other items, we're giving families hope. I hope that you'll join the cause and give to our neighbors too.

Many people ask, "Who are these neighbors?" We're talking about families who live just north of 11th street. Looking at TU and its beautiful buildings, who would know that there were families living in such extreme poverty right next door? Thank you again to our donors! If you'd like to help, send me an email at SashaMTownsend@gmail.com, and I'll be sure to get back to you within 24 hours to set up an in-person meeting. Some people have told me, "You know, you can't save every child," but I know that if we've helped one child, we've done our job. Sometimes, it's just one caring adult that makes all of the difference. Kendall Whittier, Inc. has been helping children and families of our neighborhood for over 25 years. I am so grateful that I have the opportunity to help my neighbors! I hope you'll join the movement and help your neighbors too!

Visit us on facebook and visit our website for more information.

No comments: