Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Kendall-Whittier, Inc.

Hello friends and family! I have some news. I've been a volunteer with Kendall-Whittier, Inc. a very short time but I jumped in enthusiastically when I discovered their mission and found out what they are all about.

Kendall-Whittier, Inc.'s mission is to work together to improve the quality of life of the individuals of neighborhood. Specifically, KWI does this through their Emergency Food Pantry, an after-school tutoring and mentoring program, and community outreach and advocacy as a Partner in Education and through other avenues. For more information, go to www.kendallwhittierinc.org or visit us on facebook.

One of the things that I think makes KWI so special is that we're all about neighbors helping neighbors. The organization is focused on a specific group of people and their needs, rather than the needs that a certain group of volunteers want to meet. In a time when facebook, myspace, (blogger :)) and other social networking sites have replaced many face-to-face interactions, the work of KWI builds a sense of community. I believe that we all need to be connected to people. Each of us has something to offer, and the world is better when we all give of ourselves to help others. KWI volunteers and board members understand this. In addition to the life-changing work of providing students with role models, mentors, not to mention life skills, practical information, and tangible support in the form of food and supplies, these actions give people hope. It's amazing how much our actions speak so much louder than words do. Whenever my mom hears Extreme's "More Than Words" she thinks of me, and now I think, not only of her, but of the great work being done through KWI. When we bless people with something they need, they receive so much more than what is tangible and that's what Kendall-Whittier, Inc. is all about.

I'm currently serving a committee planning a benefit for KWI's annual fundraising event, titled "A Beautiful Night For the Neighborhood." I'm seeking monetary and silent auction donations for our event. KWI is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, so every donation is tax deductible. In addition, every donor will be recognized and promoted through the visibility of their items. It truly is a win-win for every one who is willing and able to donate something and residents of our neighborhood. If you feel called to donate something, please send me an email with your contact information and I will call you within 24 hours to set up an in-person meeting. I believe wholehearted in the work KWI is doing for children and families who live just north of me. I appreciate your kindness, your support, and your prayers for our event!

No comments: