Friday, April 17, 2009

On Wednesday, our family experienced a great loss. My husband's father, Robert Willsie Townsend, Sr. passed away on Wednesday. Thank you so much to all who have sent their prayers and thoughts to our family.

Last night, I sang the national anthem at the Tulsa Drillers Opening Game. It went well, but it was bittersweet. Bobby, his brothers Tom and Dave, Bobby's best friend Ryan, my sister-in-law Carla and our precious nephew Ty came out to support me and the Tulsa Drillers. It was a welcome change of pace from the rest of the day's events. The guys got their minds off of their loss, had a few beers, and were able to enjoy the game together.

Robert was a lifelong athlete and a big sports fan, and he was very patriotic, as American as it gets. I thought of him while I was singing. The entire scenario -- Mrs. Oklahoma singing the national anthem at a Tulsa baseball game -- It doesn't get much more American than that. We all miss him very much.

Thank you Cheryl Northness of the Tulsa Drillers for arranging this event (Cheryl began planning my appearance almost a year ago) and for the photos of me singing, and thank you for the photo, Hornsby!

2 comments:

Ang said...

So sorry to learn of you loss.
You and yours are in our prayers!
Great job at the game and you've done a GREAT job with your year! I'm so proud of you!
XOXO
Ang

Cheryl Northness said...

Sasha,
I am so sorry for your loss. You did such a fabulous job. You were so sweet and so kind to every soul that wanted a photo or a kind smile. There are not many like you, and you are truly worthy of the crown you wore that night!
God bless,
Cheryl