Thursday, July 15, 2010

Mrs. Tulsa 2010 is Mrs. Green Country 2011!

I'm excited to announce that I've been selected to serve as Mrs. Green Country 2011!

It's going to be a great year! I have a wonderful new sponsor in Tulsa Gold & Gems. I've been invited to be a part of so many wonderful service projects and benefits for wonderful causes in the Tulsa area. Things with Blended Love are taking off faster and better than I could have ever imagined (thanks to my awesome Lord and Savior, a fabulously talented partner in Monica Epperson, and a brilliant, excited, passionate board of directors).

I find myself overusing the words "excited" and "wonderful", using far too many emoticons and using even more exclamation points. I'm bubbling over with joy at the things that God is doing for children of divorce, teachers, and families this year. Bobby and I have begun conversations about having a baby (not this year, but possibly next), and I have a very clear idea of God's plan for me now, although I don't know His timeline. While it was initially scary knowing so much (I was so afraid that I was going to ruin God's plan), God has been teaching me to rely on Him completely and trust Him more and more. It has been a challenge for me as a typical child of divorce but also very freeing to let go of my fears and rely completely on the Man in charge.

Regardless of what happens at the Mrs. Oklahoma pageant this January, I'm devoting myself to serving others, continuing my work with the Oklahoma Marriage Initiative & Kendall Whittier, Inc., and expanding the services and working with Monica on strategic planning for Blended Love. This is the season for service and growth. This season is about family and relationships. My Mrs. Green Country title is simply a vehicle that will allow me to further my mission and be a blessing to others.

While I still desire to be Mrs. America, I'm focusing more on the service that God created me for. I want to be the best Mrs. Green Country this region has ever had. I want to leave a legacy and be a blessing. Mrs. Oklahoma or not, I have complete faith that this is going to happen. Then, when I meet the state pageant judges on January 22, I am going to share my passion with them and see what happens.

I'd like to thank my wonderful husband Bobby Townsend, my fabulous friends & family, Spencer Fisher of Tulsa Gold & Gems, Gary & Ann Murphy and the fabulous team at New Day Media, Rachel Flint of Corinthian Fitness, Aspen Athletic Club at 61st & Memorial, Eddie Tillis and the Mr. Body Fat gang, Amy Moore of Men's Wearhouse, Ilquia Anderson, hair & make-up artist, Monica Epperson & the entire Blended Love board of directors, Amanda Carter, Kendy Cox, Liz Silva, and the entire team at the Oklahoma Marriage Initiative for your support and belief in me. I honestly wouldn't be able to compete without my generous sponsors. All of you remind me why I continue to compete.

Sometimes, the pageant world is far from pretty (a few ugly people can ruin the experience for so many), but when you have the opportunity to really make a difference and develop relationships that exceed your wildest expectations, the positives outweigh the negatives. I remember Nicole Johnson, Miss America 1999, speaking on stage at the Miss University of South Florida pageant about the $13 million she had raised for diabetes research -- and I still want to make a difference like that, 11 years later. I can't think of a better vehicle to spread my message of supporting children of divorce and strengthening marriage through relationship education than the title of Mrs. America. Thank you again for your support! God bless you and your families!

No comments: